Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yucky weather

Well the weather is dreadful. I was driving home on the interstate and went sideways. It was pretty scary but thankful I made it home all in once piece. Josh and I have been bakers the past few days, using the bread maker my grandmother gave Josh for Christmas. It is delicious bread but it takes SOOO long to make. Like three hours. But it makes the house smell delicious and theres nothing like eating a slice of homeade bread.


I have recently realized how this is the first time I think in the length of my recovery that I haven't hung out with people who actively use. (well...not completely there are a few people but I dont hang out with t hem that often) My point is more along the lines of how much recovery based work I do everyday. I work as a recovery aide at a rehab, and a mentor at Second Growth. My sister just celebrated one year of sobriety, and Josh is working on five months. It's such a nice feeling, and it's also very overwhelming. My job at the rehab is hard work, emotionally and mentally. Being surrounded by kids that either don't want recovery or just don't understand it is very difficult. It makes me very grateful for my own. I just have so much hope for these kids and the sad thing is that probably a majority of them will relapse once they leave. But I pray for them and anyone else who suffers from addiction.

Another thing that makes me grateful is the "tree man" Josh and I watched a documentary on him the other day. He was such a genuine guy and was so happy that a doctor from the U.S was willing to try and help him. His hands and feet were completely covered in these branch-like horns. He couldn't work to support his family and it made him really sad. But when he went through all his surgeries and treatments his family was there to support him. It was just a really interesting thing to watch and reminded me about how grateful I am to be where I am and have the family that I do.

No comments: